At Vintage Church, we believe that every avenue and expression of art conveys a story.
Any genre of the arts has a story to tell, and as believers and followers of Christ, we have the greatest story. The gospel is the only story that, when believed upon and received, offers forgiveness of sins and new, abundant, eternal life through Jesus.
Gospel-centered art points to the grace, hope, and mercy that it is in Jesus alone, reminding us of our depravity that is the sin of this world. It is through the gospel and by the power of the gospel that hearts are changed and made new and lives are changed and made useful for His glory.
In the book of Acts, we are called by Jesus and empowered by the Spirit to be His witnesses. We are commissioned to tell His great story, the Good News. He is Jesus and He is Savior to all. The arts have an amazing reach and powerful influence. Through all forms of art, we have the opportunity to respond to Jesus and share His truth and His love.
At Vintage Church, our focus is on the Lord Jesus Christ. We aim to tell of the finished and complete work of His death, burial, and victorious resurrection. There is power in His Name. There is salvation in Him alone. Through creativity, song, and originality, the arts in the church reflect and point to the full gospel.
Vintage Arts Ministry Areas
“It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
to declare Your steadfast love in the morning,
and Your faithfulness by night,
to the music of the lute and the harp,
to the melody of the lyre.
For You, O Lord, have made me glad by Your work;
at the works of Your hands I sing for joy.”
Musical worship is giving worth and placing honor on the Lord through song. Musical worship, whether in a corporate community setting or in private, is a response of praise (giving worth) and positioning of our hearts (placing honor) toward Jesus.
Our worship through music arts is an act. It is a choice of faithfulness and obedience. It is taking any and all thought and attention off of ourselves and placing it completely on the Lord Jesus, for His glory alone. We love music arts at Vintage Church. Whether singing Scripture songs and ancient hymn texts, playing instrumental arrangements, or writing new anthems for the church, our goal is to glorify and lift high the Name of Jesus together.
Through Gospel-Centered Music Arts
- Jesus gets the glory and victory in celebration. Jesus deserves our highest praise. Ultimately, when we respond to the Lord Jesus through musical worship we are giving Him all the glory. We are identifying in Christ and not in our sin. We are set free to celebrate and glory in Jesus alone.
- We encounter God. When we respond to the Lord, singing His praise and believing in Him, we are truly seeking His face and His will. There is an expectancy to meet with the Lord, to give glory to Jesus, and to grow a heart of desperation for an encounter with God. This is a worship that addresses each person of our Triune God.
- Scripture is declared and proclaimed.
- We remind one another of why we gather. Our rehearsal of eternal and everlasting praise together reminds us of God’s promises and of our covenantal relationship with Him.
- We give a sacrificial act and an offering of praise.
The Vintage Production Team exists to create an environment where people can freely worship God without distraction. We do this through the use of quality sound, media, and lighting production.
We can see the importance of environment and aesthetics in the strict guidelines God laid out for Israel when building the Temple (2 Chronicles 2–4) and Tabernacle (Exodus 25–30) in the Old Testament. These were places where He would dwell and where His people would go to connect with Him. This looks different for us today because, in Christ through the Spirit, we have the freedom to experience God anywhere. However, aesthetics are still important in a gathering space because that’s where His church comes to worship corporately.
Let me make a very important point of clarification here: I am not trying to emphasize an experience. We cannot base our worship, faith, and life in Christ off of experiences alone. But, we also can run the danger of not allowing people the opportunity to experience Christ if we don’t acknowledge the importance of environment and aesthetics.
There are churches who focus too much on aesthetics, and there are those who don’t focus on them enough. Vintage wants to be a church that lands in the middle. We want to focus on the environment and aesthetics of our gatherings, but we do it because we want people to be able to experience and worship Christ freely and without distraction.
For more on the methodology and reasoning behind what the Vintage Production Team does, check out Sleek, Sexy, & Subtle: How Visual Media & Environments Affect a Worship Gathering.
- FOH Audio Engineer: mixes the live audio for rehearsals and gatherings
- Media Tech: runs our presentation software for rehearsals and gatherings
- Lighting Tech: creatively uses lights to enhance the music and teaching time in gatherings
- Video Switcher: leads the broadcast video team by switching cameras, videos, and graphics for our online stream and sermon video recording
- Camera Operator: operates a camera during gatherings for online streaming and sermon video recording
- Stage Tech: assists with any setup or tear down needs pre- and post-gathering, as well as being available during gatherings to help transition any needed equipment on and off the stage
If you’re interested in serving with our Production Team, please contact our Media Arts Director, Chris Wilson, for more details. Thanks for your interest. We look forward to serving with you!
All of us are born with an innate ability and desire to create, but each of us in a different way. With this in mind, the Creative Arts are limitless. And, at Vintage Church, we want to utilize our individual creativity to live the gospel, serve the city, and be the church through as many artistic avenues as possible.
Some of the main avenues we use are:
- Graphic Design: mostly related to sermon series and other Vintage ministry events
- Print Design: taking content from different ministries and putting a creative design to it
- Web Design and Management: websites are such a vital part of any organization today and can be the first introduction of our church to anyone that finds us online; we want to make sure our site is engaging and has content and resources for everyone
- Stage Design: creating stage backgrounds and props that are fun and engaging and can enhance our gatherings
- Video Production: from story videos to mini-movies, videos are such a powerful medium today that we can use to spread the love of Christ
- Photography: pictures have the ability tell such powerful stories, so we want to make sure we utilize any opportunity to photograph our gatherings and different ministry events
We are always in need of more help with the Creative Arts. If you are interested in serving with our team in any way, please contact our Media Arts Director, Chris Wilson.